S C I E N T I F I C T E A M
- Margaret Kemeny, Ph.D., University of California, San Francisco, the Principal Investigator, is an internationally recognized expert in the field of psychoneuroimmunology, particularly the impact of cognitions and emotions on physiology and health.
- Paul Ekman, Ph.D. University of California, San Francisco, is a renowned expert in the scientific study of emotion and facial expressions.
- B. Alan Wallace, Ph.D., Co-Investigator, Santa Barbara Institute for Consciousness Studies, an expert in Indo-Tibetan Buddhism, oversees the meditation training component of this project.
- Eve Ekman, Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, focuses on interpersonal training for medical education to support empathic skills, the experience of meaning, and managing burning out.
- Janine Giese-Davis, Ph.D., Stanford University, has extensive expertise in measuring emotional behavior in social interactions.
- Jeanne Tsai, Ph.D., Stanford University, is an expert in cultural aspects of emotion and empathy.
R E S E A R C H
Ekman, E. (2015). Development, delivery, and evaluation of a pilot stress reduction, emotion regulation, and mindfulness training for juvenile justice officers. Journal of juvenile justice, 4(2), 71.
Ekman, P., Davidson, R. J., Ricard, M., & Wallace, B. A. (2005). Buddhist and psychological perspectives on emotions and well-being. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 14(2), 59-63.
Kemeny, M. E., Foltz, C., Cavanagh, J. F., Cullen, M., Giese-Davis, J., Jennings, P., … & Ekman, P. (2012). Contemplative/emotion training reduces negative emotional behavior and promotes prosocial responses. Emotion, 12(2), 338.
Kozasa, E. H., Sato, J. R., Lacerda, S. S., Barreiros, M. A., Radvany, J., Russell, T. A., … & Amaro, E. (2012). Meditation training increases brain efficiency in an attention task. Neuroimage, 59(1), 745-749.
Kozasa, E. H., Tanaka, L. H., Monson, C., Little, S., Leao, F. C., & Peres, M. P. (2012). The effects of meditation-based interventions on the treatment of fibromyalgia.Current pain and headache reports, 16(5), 383-387.
Milicevic, A., Milton, I., & O’Loughlin, C. (2016). Experiential reflective learning as a foundation for emotional resilience: An evaluation of contemplative emotional training in mental health workers. International Journal of Educational Research, 80, 25-36